My family and I decided to homeschool instead of sending me to school for grade 3. I wanted to homeschool but at first I was worried that I wouldn’t see my school friends anymore. My parents promised me that I would still see them so we started homeschooling! I’m so happy that I did because I love it and I still get to see my friends. In this post, I’m going to tell you about my 5 favourite things about being homeschooled:
- Spending More Time with My Parents – My mom works from home most days and my dad works from home sometimes. When I was at school, I was gone most of the day. Now I see them a lot more because I am home too. I love seeing my parents more often because we do fun things together.
- No Rushing – When I was going to school, we would always be rushing in the morning because I am very slow at getting ready and I like to sleep in. Now, I can get up at a later time and we start and end our day whenever we want. Mealtimes are relaxed too. At school, sometimes I felt rushed to finish my lunch or to switch subjects.
- Shorter School Days – My day at school was 8 hours long including driving. Now, my school days are about 2-4 hours per day because it’s only me as a student and we finish subjects more quickly. There is also no homework because I do all my work during the day. The reason I like having extra time is that I can play more, read more and I even had time to start my own business selling my crafts.
- Picking My Own Subjects – I didn’t like spending an hour on every subject at school and having a strict schedule. We also didn’t spend enough time on my favourite subjects like art, drama, science and music. Some subjects were too long, and I spent too much time doing boring worksheets. Now, I get to help pick my own subjects and I can spend more time on my favourites. Also, we do more interactive things like games, online learning (see websites I use) and experiments. Sometimes we even have a free day where we can do whatever we want!
- Field Trips – At school, we only had a field trip twice a year. Right now, we aren’t doing many field trips because of COVID but before that we used to go on a field trip almost every week. Some of my favourite field trips were a trip to Boston, the Toronto International Film Festival, the CN Tower and Ripley’s Aquarium. We also go on mini field trips like hiking, swimming, visiting a farmer’s market or going bowling.
Overall, I love homeschooling! I don’t ever plan to go back to school. Those are my 5 favourite things about being homeschooled. Here is another blog post about what other kids like about homeschooling that my mom showed me before we started. I think all kids would like homeschooling a lot. If you try it, I want to hear your favourite things!
Quote of the Day:
“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”― BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, ONE OF THE FOUNDING FATHERS OF THE U.S.A.